Showing 181 results

Authority record

Munro, Will

  • AGOAC00042
  • Person
  • 1975-2010

William Grant Munro (1975-2010) was a Toronto-based visual artist, community builder, event organizer and entrepreneur. Munro spent his childhood and teenage years in Mississauga. He graduated in 2000 from the Ontario College of Art and Design, where he studied sculpture and installation. In 1999, he founded Vazaleen, a now legendary series of dance parties. In 2006, he and Lynn MacNeil purchased the Beaver Café, a hub of artistic, musical and social activity at Queen Street West and Gladstone Avenue in Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood. Munro worked as a DJ for events in the visual art community. He served on the Board of Directors of Art Metropole and York University. His artwork has been exhibited in solo and group exhibitions at numerous venues including Art in General, New York; and the Art Gallery of Ontario, Mercer Union, Art Gallery of York University, and Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Toronto. His work is represented by Paul Petro Contemporary Art.

Murray, Gail

  • S743
  • Person
  • 19- -

Gail Carr was a student at Waterloo Lutheran University (now Wilfrid Laurier University) from 1967 to 1970. She was a contestant in the Miss Canadian University Queen Contest in 1969. Her married name is Gail Murray.

Narozamski, Jean

  • 010
  • Person

Jean Narozamski was a horticulturist and a librarian who helped to found the Walden Garden club in 1976.

N.E. Thing Company

  • AGOAC00042
  • Corporate body
  • 1967 - 1978

The N.E. Thing Company was founded in 1967 by Ian and Elaine Baxter (nee Hieber), and formally incorporated in 1969, with Iain Baxter as President and Elaine as Vice President; the two later became co-presidents. Following the Baxters’ divorce, the company dissolved in 1978

Nelson, James Gordon, 1932-

  • 0027
  • Person
  • 1932 -

James Gordon Nelson, (1932- ) was a professor at the University of Waterloo, in Waterloo, Ontario until his retirement in 1998. Nelson received his BA from McMaster University, his MA from Colorado, and his PhD from Johns Hopkins University. Before accepting a position with the University of Waterloo in 1975, Nelson held academic and administrative positions at the University of Calgary and the University of Western Ontario. He is an ecologist, a geographer, a planner, and a policy maker. James Gordon Nelson has been a member of the College of Fellows of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society, a committee member of the World Commission on Protected Areas of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, a member of the National Executive Committee of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness, and Ontario's Representative on the National Board of Governors of Heritage Canada. He has received many awards, including the first Natural Heritage Award in 1978, the Canadian Association of Geographers Award for Scholarly Distinction in Geography in 1983, the Massey Medal for the Royal Canadian Geographic Society in 1983, a Certificate of Achievement from the Grand River Conservation Authority in 1994, and the 1994 Environment Award for the Regional Municipality of Waterloo.

O'Flynn Cash Grocery

  • 031
  • Corporate body
  • 1914

O'Flynn Cash Grocery opened in January of 1914 in Copper Cliff, Ontario. It is not known if the store had an actual physical location on Poplar Street, if it occupied a section of McKinnon's General Store, or if it was a catalogue store with a mailing address of Poplar Street. The ordering procedures mentioned in the store's price list, however, suggest that it was a catalogue store.

Miss Rose O'Flynn was the proprietor of the 'cash only' store, which was a novelty in Copper Cliff due to the exclusive use of credit in that area. The experimental store had a short life, closing sometime before the start of 1915, though the exact date is unknown.

Rose O'Flynn was born Mary Rosetta Flynn (sometimes written as O'Flynn) on April 5, 1890 in Ensley Township, Newaygo, Michigan to James Joseph Flynn and Mary Ellen Flynn (née Mary Ellen Wolfe). Her parents were born and married in Ontario, but immigrated to the United States of America in 1881 or 1882. Rose O'Flynn lived with her family in Michigan until 1907, at which time she went to live in Copper Cliff with her mother's sister, Hester McKinnon (née Hester Ann Wolfe) and her family. Hester McKinnon was married to John Romantions McKinnon who owned and operated a department store, J.R. McKinnon & Sons. Rose O'Flynn worked as a saleslady there and lived with the McKinnon's until her marriage to Gregory Lee on June 8, 1915. Her wedding day was a simple affair, with the only guests being close friends and relatives of the bride and groom. Rose O'Flynn's cousin, Richard McKinnon, walked her down the aisle. After a honeymoon in Cornwall, Ontario; Boston, Massachusetts, and New York, New York the couple returned home to Copper Cliff.

Rose O'Flynn Lee was a homemaker and took care of the couple's four children, three girls and a boy. She was also deeply involved with her church, St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church, and was a member of the Catholic Women's League and the Altar Society. Rose O'Flynn Lee died June 3, 1950 at the age of 60 in her home in Copper Cliff.

Ontario Toxic Waste Research Coalition.

  • AC00328
  • Corporate body

OTWRC is a group of citizens' and agricultural groups who succeeded in cancelling the Ontario Waste Management Corporation's plans to build a hazardous waste plant in West Lincoln in the Niagara Peninsula. The group now comments on hazardous waste issues in Ontario and pushes for waste elimination.

Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association, Coniston Group

  • 011
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-1958

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first recorded date for the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association in Coniston, Ontario was 1948. The first entry in their Minute Book begins with the last meeting of the year in 1948 so there most likely was another Minute Book created before this, possibly for years prior to this date, and lost. Prior to their formation, there was already a Coniston Boy Scout Association. The first troop was affiliated with the Anglican Church and this, the second troop, was formed to be affiliated with the Catholic Church (the french speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the english speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston during the entire life of the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association Board held their meetings in the basement of the Separate School in Coniston every month. Troop meetings tended to take place on Tuesday nights at 7pm but they would have events on other days. Activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father son banquets. They were funded with Apple Day sales, Christmas Card sales, and various other fundraising activities.

During the summer of 1953, the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association won the 'All Over' trophy at summer camp, signifying that they were the best cub pack from the Sudbury District attending the camp. In 1955, three Scouters resigned; one to attend school out of town and the other two, who were the Cub Masters Mr. & Mrs. Gobbo [Art Gobbo & Evelyn Gobbo]. In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen)
Edward J. Orendorff 1948 - 1952, May 1953 -after 1957 (also principal of Coniston Continuation School)
O. Paradis 1952 - 1953
G. Maher January - May 1953

Chaplains for Troop
Father Fortin 1948 - 1951
Father Lafontaine 1953
Father Proulx 1956 - 195?

Overgaard, Herman O. J.

  • S099
  • Person
  • 1920-2000

Herman Overgaard (1920-2000) was an author, administrator, and professor at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. He obtained his BA from the University of Manitoba, and his MS and PhD from Columbia University. In 1947 Overgaard became an assistant professor in the Department of Economics and Business Administration at Waterloo College (now Wilfrid Laurier University). He held various positions at the university, including Department Chair; Director, School of Business and Economics; and Director of Summer School, Orillia Campus. After retiring in 1986 Overgaard continued to teach on a part-time basis until 1991. In 2000 Herman Overgaard received an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Wilfrid Laurier University.

Panton, L.A.C. (Lawrence Arthur Colley), 1894-1954

  • AGOAC00241
  • Person
  • 1894-1954

Lawrence Arthur Colley Panton (1894-1954) was a Canadian painter, educator and academician active in Toronto from the 1930s until his death. Born in England, he immigrated to Canada at 17. He served in the Army during 1916-1919 and studied art in the evening after his return from the war. In Toronto, he worked at Rous and Mann as a designer until 1924 when he began his teaching career, first at the Central Technical School and then at Western Technical School (1926-37), Northern Vocational School (1937-51) and finally principal of the Ontario College of Art (1951-54). In 1920 he married Marion Pye; their son Charles was born in 1921 and died in action in 1944. Panton was active in a number of organizations, including the Ontario Society of Artists (President 1931-37), the Canadian Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers, the Canadian Group of Painters, The Royal Canadian Academy and the Arts and Letters Club (President 1953-54).

Results 101 to 110 of 181