Mostrar 181 resultados

Pessoa/organização

Mercer Union (gallery)

  • AGOAC00788
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1979 -

Mercer Union was created by former members of A.C.T. in 1979 to operate as an artist-run, non-profit cooperative gallery. Twelve founders contributed financially to the rental of a ground floor space at 29 Mercer Street and planned to mix local, regional, national and international exhibits, collaborating with other artist-run programs. Its mandate was to exhibit new work in the most advanced forms of painting and sculpture that was not receiving exposure in the commercial and public galleries. Performance art, installations and music were incorporated into the programming, which has continued to represent innovative and sometimes controversial material. Twelve board members are elected by dues-paying members and serve on the various committees (programming, curatorial, etc), with the help of a small paid staff. The gallery moved to 333 Adelaide Street West, 5th floor in 1981 and 439 King Street West in 1994. Their present location is 37 Lisgar Street; current information about the gallery can be obtained at www.mercerunion.org.

Master Print and Drawing Society of Ontario

  • AGOAC00247
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1985 -

The Master Print and Drawing Society of Ontario (MPDSO) is the first independent body of specialist collectors of prints and drawings in Canada. Founded in 1985 by Sidney Bregman and Katharine Lochnan, the Society first came into existence as the Master Print and Drawing Society, and operated as a non-profit educational association that provided special assistance to its members with problems unique to collecting. The Society is officially affiliated with the Art Gallery of Ontario, but is an independent organization belonging to its members, and through its Board of Directors determines its objectives, policies and activities, requirements for membership, selection of new members, and the composition of its executive. The executive consists of the President, Vice-President(s), Secretary/Treasurer, and Directors. The President has primary responsibility for determining the Society's activities, making arrangements for lectures, tours, and other special events. Since 1989, the MPDSO has been supported by the Fraser Elliot Foundation in fulfilling its mandate to represent the collective interests of its members in seeking out the expert advice of scholars, curators, and visiting lectures to contribute special assistance with collecting master prints and drawings from the 15th to the mid 20th century.

Uniroyal Chemical

  • 056
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1986-1999

In 1986, Uniroyal Chemical Company was formed as a subsidiary of Avery Inc. Then, in 1989, Uniroyal Chemical Company Investors Holding bought Uniroyal Chemical Company from Avery and became Uniroyal Chemical Corporation. In 1996, Uniroyal Chemical Corporation went public and merged with Crompton & Knowles. In 1996, Uniroyal Chemical Corporation went public and merged with Crompton & Knowles. In 1999, Crompton & Knowles merged with Witco to form Crompton Corporation. In 2005, Crompton acquired Great Lakes Chemical Company, Inc., of West Lafayette, Indiana, to form Chemtura Corporation.

Chemtura Canada Co./Cie.

  • 035
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 2006 - 2017

Chemtura Corporation was a global corporation headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with its other principal executive office in Middlebury, Connecticut. The company focused on specialty chemicals for various industrial sectors, and these were transportation (including automotive), energy, agriculture, and electronics. Chemtura operated manufacturing plants in 11 countries, including Canada.

Chemtura Corporation was the successor to Crompton & Knowles Corporation, which was incorporated in Massachusetts in 1900 and engaged in the manufacture and sale of specialty chemicals beginning in 1954. Crompton & Knowles traces its roots to Crompton Loom Works incorporated in the 1840s. In 2005, Crompton acquired Great Lakes Chemical Company, Inc., of West Lafayette, Indiana, to form Chemtura Corporation. Additionally, Great Lakes Chemical Corporation still existed as a subsidiary company of Chemtura. On April 21, 2017, Chemtura was officially acquired by Lanxess for $2.1 billion in cash.

In Canada, Chemtura and its predecessor corporations operated a plant in Elmira, Ontario. Since 1941 the plant has undergone various name and ownership changes. From 1966-2000 the plant operated as Uniroyal Chemical, from 2000-2006 as Crompton Company, and on July 1, 2006 formally changed its name to Chemtura Canada Company.

Women's College Hospital. Division of Dermatology

  • WCH006
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1946 -

In 1946, under the Department of Medicine, Women's College Hospital established its first formal dermatology program, an outpatient clinic that was held twice a week. That year, Dr. Ricky Kanee Schachter was appointed Head of the newly formed Division of Dermatology. Under her leadership the program expanded to include the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC), launched in 1976. After Dr. Schachter's retirement in 1985 the Department operated under the leadership of the the following Heads of the Division of Dermatology: Dr. Colin Ramsay (1986-1990); Dr. Gary Sibbald (1991-1993) and Dr. Lynn From (1993-2000). In 1991 the Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre was launched at Women's College Hospital. Today the Dermatology program is comprised of three main components:The Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre; Dermatology Day Care and Wound-Healing Clinic and the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC).

Walden Garden Club

  • 009
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1976 - 198-

The Walden Garden Club was first founded by Jean Narozanski in 1976. Narozanski was the municipal horticulturalist in Walden and also worked at the public library. She noticed a desire of residents to learn more about horticulture and founded the club to provide an outlet for various homeowners to discuss gardening. That same year, Narozanski also established Northern Perennials, a local gardening store. By 1980, Narozanski moved to Manitolan Island and the club discontinued around the mid 1980's.

Former Chairmen of the Walden Garden Club include;

Jean Narozanski 1976-1977
Evelyn Nelson 1977-1978
Myra Gauthier 1978-1979

Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association, Coniston Group

  • 011
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1948-1958

Robert Baden-Powell's book, Scouting for Boys, was first published in England in 1908. Shortly after, Scouts began forming all over Canada. In 1910, a Dominion Council was established and Governor General Earl Grey accepted the position of Chief Scout for Canada. The Boy Scouts Association was incorporated in the United Kingdom two years later. In June 1914, a Canadian branch of that organization - The Canadian General Council of the Boy Scouts Association - was incorporated. In 1920, the International Conference, to which all recognized Boy Scout associations belonged, was formed.

The first recorded date for the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association in Coniston, Ontario was 1948. The first entry in their Minute Book begins with the last meeting of the year in 1948 so there most likely was another Minute Book created before this, possibly for years prior to this date, and lost. Prior to their formation, there was already a Coniston Boy Scout Association. The first troop was affiliated with the Anglican Church and this, the second troop, was formed to be affiliated with the Catholic Church (the french speaking boys attended Our Lady of Mercy Church while the english speaking boys attended St. Paul's Church). Both troops existed at the same time in Coniston during the entire life of the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association and frequently participated in events and fundraising together. The Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association Board held their meetings in the basement of the Separate School in Coniston every month. Troop meetings tended to take place on Tuesday nights at 7pm but they would have events on other days. Activities of the troop included camping, hiking, first aid training, hockey, watching National Film Board movies, and father son banquets. They were funded with Apple Day sales, Christmas Card sales, and various other fundraising activities.

During the summer of 1953, the Our Lady of Mercy Boy Scout Association won the 'All Over' trophy at summer camp, signifying that they were the best cub pack from the Sudbury District attending the camp. In 1955, three Scouters resigned; one to attend school out of town and the other two, who were the Cub Masters Mr. & Mrs. Gobbo [Art Gobbo & Evelyn Gobbo]. In September 1956, the 1st Coniston Troop approached the 2nd Troop with the proposition of forming one group for Coniston. Bishop Dignan gave permission for boys from the 1st Troop to join, provided the 2nd Troop had control of the troop. During 1956 and 1957, the troop had difficulties recruiting Cub Masters who had the time to volunteer and the group folded by 1958 with the remainder of their bank balance being donated to the 1st Coniston Group Committee on November 12, 1962.

Presidents (Chairmen)
Edward J. Orendorff 1948 - 1952, May 1953 -after 1957 (also principal of Coniston Continuation School)
O. Paradis 1952 - 1953
G. Maher January - May 1953

Chaplains for Troop
Father Fortin 1948 - 1951
Father Lafontaine 1953
Father Proulx 1956 - 195?

Wilfrid Laurier University

  • 0001
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1973-

In 1910 the Canada Synod and Synod of Central Canada of the Lutheran Church entered into an agreement to establish a Lutheran Seminary. Though the location first proposed for the Seminary was Toronto, Waterloo was selected when its citizens offered a tract of land on the boundary of the town. The choice of location was further influenced by the fact that the majority of Lutherans in Ontario lived in the vicinity of Waterloo and Berlin (Kitchener). In 1911 the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada opened its doors.

Facilities for pre-theological education were established in 1914 with courses leading to senior matriculation given in Waterloo College School.

In 1924 the Waterloo College of Arts, providing courses in post-secondary education in a four year program, was established. In 1925 the Faculty of Arts, under the name of Waterloo College, affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College soon began to offer honours degree programs in the arts.

The affiliation with the University of Western Ontario ended in 1960 when the Seminary obtained a revised charter changing the name of the institution to Waterloo Lutheran University.

On November 1, 1973, Waterloo Lutheran University became Wilfrid Laurier University, one of Ontario's provincially assisted universities after Bill 178 was given Royal Assent by the Lieutenant Governor (and former Waterloo Lutheran University Chancellor) William Ross Macdonald.

In September 1999, Laurier opened a campus in Brantford, Ontario.

Resultados 41 a 50 de 181