Timothy Melvin Zuck, Canadian artist and educator, was born in 1947 in Erie, Pennsylvania. He attended Wilmington College from 1966-1967 and 1968-1969. There he majored in philosophy and psychology and took a few courses in art history and sculpture. In 1967-1968, Zuck joined his parents on a year-long mission to India, where he studied at Madras Christian College. Zuck received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD) in 1971. While at NSCAD, he did performance, film, photographic and other process-oriented and conceptual projects. In Halifax Zuck met and married Robyn Randell. He then earned his Master of Fine Arts from the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, California in 1972. After completing his graduate studies, Zuck returned to NSCAD in late 1972, where he was Assistant Professor until 1979. While teaching at NSCAD, he continued to work on his conceptual projects. In 1975, Zuck began to focus on painting, in which he had no formal training. In 1979, he resigned from NSCAD and began to paint full-time in Purcell’s Cove, near Halifax, Nova Scotia. Zuck became a Canadian citizen in 1983. The Zucks moved from Purcell’s Cove to Kingston, Ontario, where they lived from 1982-1984 and then lived for three years in downtown Toronto, where their daughter, Anna, was born in 1985. They then moved to Midland, Ontario. In addition to taking part in many artist expeditions, Zuck won a poster competition for the XV Olympic Winter Games in 1988 in Calgary, Alberta. He moved to Calgary in 2002 to teach at the Alberta College of Art and Design. Tim Zuck is represented by the Sable-Castelli Gallery in Toronto, Ontario and the Paul Kuhn Gallery in Calgary, Alberta. His work has been included in numerous group and solo exhibitions in Canada, the United States and Europe, and may be found in the collections of numerous Canadian galleries and museums.
Samuel J. Zacks (1904-1970) was a financier, Zionist and art collector, born in Kingston Ontario and educated at Queen’s University and Harvard. He married Ayala Ben Tovim Fleg in 1947, whereupon they immediately began to collect art of the School of Paris as well as Canadian and Israeli art and antiquities, amassing an extensive collection by the late 1950’s that was in continual demand by museums around the world. Mr. and Mrs. Zacks were both involved in international art circles, sitting on the Boards of the International Committee of Museums (ICOM), a branch of UNESCO, the International Committee of the Museum of Modern Art, the Art Gallery of Ontario and others. In 1969 Mr. Zacks received an Honourary Fellowship from St. Peter’s College, Oxford. He died in 1970 in Toronto.
The YDMA has administrative relationships with the International Sled Dog Racing Association, the Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous Committee and Alaskan dog mushing associations. The YDMA has an executive and board of directors. Past presidents have been: Paul Sheridan, 1973-1975; Elmer Bankhead, 1978; Ken Weagle, 1982.; Secretaries have been: J.B. Fitzgerald, 1964; Marion Elden, 1968-1973; Jan Couture, 1975; Pam Buckway, 1982. Function: The object of the YDMA is to promote dog sled racing in the Yukon Territory and to promote and improve the class and type of dogs and equipment. The Association organizes and operates dog sled races and one dog pulls, and especially the dog sled races and mushers parade at the Sourdough Rendezvous. They also acquire land for and maintain permanent trails and facilities.
Florence Wyle, sculptor, was born in Trenton, Illinois November 24, 1881. While studying at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1905, she met Frances Loring, with whom she later moved to New York. Loring moved to Canada in 1912, where Wyle joined her the following year. They each produced a considerable body of work in their studio, a converted church, in Toronto. A member of the Ontario Society of Artists (1920), Wyle was the first woman sculptor to become a full member of the Royal Canadian Academy. She was also a published writer (Poems, 1958). Among her public sculptures is the relief of Edith Cavell on the grounds of the Toronto General Hospital. Florence Wyle died in Newmarket, Ontario January 13, 1968. Loring & Wyle’s works are in the collections of the Art Gallery of Ontario, the National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian War Museum and in several public and private buildings in Ontario.
Workscene Gallery was a non-profit, artist-run co-operative gallery in Toronto, 1974-1995. It originally provided studio space and a venue for exhibitions of members’ works, later expanding to exhibiting other artists’ works and curated exhibitions. Members were responsible for all programming and administration with individual artists responsible for content, installation and promotion of exhibitions. Members were required to have a strong art practice, to provide financial support through membership fees and be committed to promoting the arts community.
The co-operative was incorporated May 16, 1974 as Workscene Co-operative Corporation with the following directors: Gissa Geraldine Gold, Ian James Shaw, James Henry Tiley, Robert John Varty and Badanna Bernice Zack. In May 1988, the corporation was re-activated by the current group of artist members who began operating the Workscene Galley at 1020 Queen Street West as an exhibition space. This storefront gallery was formerly the Ruby-Fiorino Gallery and the co-operative remained in this space until the lease expired at the end of August 1990. In September 1990, Workscene Gallery relocated to 183 Bathurst Street, a building which was a focal point at that time for Toronto’s arts community and housed other artist-run centres, arts organizations and magazines. Workscene Co-operative Corporation also produced a magazine as an independent program, Work Seen Artists Forum, to provide a forum for artists to write about their work and issues of concern. In the summer of 1992 the magazine became a separate entity with no ties to the Workscene Gallery, changing its name to Artword Artists Forum.
Workscene Co-operative Corporation was dissolved in February 1992. Workscene Gallery Art Association Toronto Inc. was formed in June 1992 with the following directors: Jocelyne Regina Belcourt Salem (President), Yvonne Maria Eva Singer (1st Vice President), Ian David Lazarus (2nd Vice President), David John Renaud (Treasurer), and Sheila Ann Gregory (Secretary). The final exhibition of Workscene Gallery ended January 28, 1995 and was documented in a number of newspaper articles describing the event. Workscene ceased operations permanently in 1995.
The Division of Ophthalmology began at Women's College Hospital in the 1910s as a weekly eye clinic held in the Outpatient Department. In 1941, a Department of Ophthalmology was formally established with Dr. Mary Albertson (1941-1969) as its Chief. In the late 1950s the Department of Ophthalmology was re-established as a division of the Department of Surgery. Today, the Division of Ophthalmology is still active at Women's College Hospital.
In 1946, under the Department of Medicine, Women's College Hospital established its first formal dermatology program, an outpatient clinic that was held twice a week. That year, Dr. Ricky Kanee Schachter was appointed Head of the newly formed Division of Dermatology. Under her leadership the program expanded to include the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC), launched in 1976. After Dr. Schachter's retirement in 1985 the Department operated under the leadership of the the following Heads of the Division of Dermatology: Dr. Colin Ramsay (1986-1990); Dr. Gary Sibbald (1991-1993) and Dr. Lynn From (1993-2000). In 1991 the Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre was launched at Women's College Hospital. Today the Dermatology program is comprised of three main components:The Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre; Dermatology Day Care and Wound-Healing Clinic and the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC).
The Department of Surgery at Women's College Hospital was established in 1915 under the leadership Dr. Minerva Reid (1915-1926), Chief of Surgery. By 1920, the department was performing approximately 500 operations per year. The Department was next headed by the following Surgeons-in-Chiefs: Dr. Edna Guest (1926-1931); Dr. Kathleen Bartley (1931-1946); Dr. Jessie Gray (1946-1964); Dr. Marjorie Davis (1965-1976); Dr. Robert D. Henderson (1976-1988); Dr. Lavina Lickley (1988-1999). In 1999, Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the Orthopedic and Arthritic Institute to form Sunnybrook & Women’s College Hospital. During this time period, Women’s College Campus continued to maintain a Chief of Surgery. On April 1, 2006, Women's College Hospital regained its independent governance and became Ontario’s first and only ambulatory care hospital. The Ambulatory Surgical Services Program at Women's College Hospital performs a variety of surgical procedures including general surgery, plastic surgery focusing on breast cancer & breast reconstruction and urological procedures under the leadership of Dr. John Semple, Chief of Surgery.
The Department of Psychiatry at Women's College Hospital was established in 1961 under Dr. Lois Plumb (1961-1973), Chief of Psychiatry. Prior to its establishment, the hospital retained a psychiatrist on staff through the Department of Medicine during the 1950s. Following Dr. Plumb, Dr. A.G. Swayze (1973-1974) was appointed Acting Chief of Psychiatry in 1973 and was followed by Dr. G. Anthony Ives (1974-1984), Dr. Howard E. Book (1984-1995), Dr. Peter Nynkowski (1996), Dr. Barbara Dorian (1997-1999) and Dr. Anthony Levitt (2006- ).
In 1920 Women’s College Hospital established the Department of Laboratories and Dr. Vivian Marvin Laughlen (1920-1945) was appointed Chief of Laboratories. In 1945 Dr. Laughlen was followed by Dr. Eva Mader MacDonald (1945-1952); Dr. Alice Gray (1952-1980) and Dr. Ali H. Qizilbash (1980-1981). In 1981 the Department of Laboratories was divided into 2 new departments: the Department of Clinical Laboratories and the Department of Pathology. Dr. Kathleen Givan (1981-1992) was appointed Chief of Clinical Laboratories and was followed by Dr. Mary Vearncombe (1993-1999). In 1999 the name of the department was changed to the Department of Microbiology and Dr. Andrew Simor (1999- ) was named Chief of Microbiology.