Print preview Close

Showing 11 results

Archival description
Chelmsford Women's Institute Canada Item
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

9 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Azilda, centre rural progressif

Item is a four page, handwritten paper regarding Azilda, Ontario. This paper includes the history of Azilda, its geography and landscape, the French-Canadian and Finnish families who made up the majority of the inhabitants and the town's agricultural economy.

Chelmsford Growth and Development

Item consists of a typewritten, annotated paper, written in the format of a speech, which was most likely presented to the group at one of their monthly meetings. The paper outlines the growth and development of Chelmsford, Ontario during that time period (1950's) and focuses on such events as the laying of new roads, the creation of a new sewage system, the opening of new subdivisions, improvements to the local churches and the work being done by local groups and sports teams, such as the Lion's Club, the Women's Institute, the Girl Guides and the high school hockey team.

Historical Research

Item is a one page, typewritten paper by Rose Cvitkovich on the history of the telephone in Chelmsford, Ontario from the early 1900's to 1955.

The African Violet

Item is a four page paper, handwritten in pencil on lined linen paper, regarding the African Violet. This paper describes where the flower grows naturally and how to grow and care for the flower as a house plant.

The First Pioneers & The History of Chelmsford

Item is a five page, typewritten paper by Rose Cvitkovich on the history of Chelmsford, Ontario between 1882 and 1952. The paper covers the first settlers in Chelmsford, the history of the Catholic Church in that parish as well as the history of two short-lived Protestant churches and touches on prominent individuals within the community, such as Raphael Groulx, the first mayor; Elzear Belanger, the first merchant and post master; Hugh Gratton, post master; and Dr. Rodolphe Tanguay, general practitioner. Prominent women mentioned within the essay include church decorators Mrs. D. Seguin, Mrs. Raphael Groulx and Mrs. Clement Methe.

The First Pioneers and The History of Chelmsford

Item is a six page, typewritten, annotated paper by Rose Cvitkovich on the history of Chelmsford, Ontario between 1882 and 1952. Two handwritten edits to the text can be found on page five. The paper covers the first settlers in Chelmsford, the history of the Catholic Church in that parish as well as the history of two short-lived Protestant churches and touches on prominent individuals within the community, such as Raphael Groulx, the first mayor; Elzear Belanger, the first merchant and post master; Hugh Gratton, post master; and Dr. Rodolphe Tanguay, general practitioner. Prominent women mentioned within the essay include church decorators Mrs. D. Seguin, Mrs. Raphael Groulx and Mrs. Clement Methe.

Tweedsmuir Village History: For Home and Country Chelmsford Women's Institute Scrapbook - 1

Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir 'forward;' a table of contents; the Origin of Chelmsford; Description of Route from Sudbury to Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; Missionary & Parish Priests (1883 - 1956); The St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Chelmsford (1891 - 1950); The Eucharistic Congress on August 31, 1947; Other Churches in the Community; The Presbytery - Rectory (1897 - 1950); St. Joseph's Cemetery; Municipality of Chelmsford, which includes a list of the Mayors from 1901 - 1950; Parish Hall, 1935; the Hull Bridge, 1919; the Teachers Federation Group; the Grotto of Chelmsford Convent, 1942; Church Organizations: League of the Sacred Heart; the Ladies of Sainte Anne and the Children of Mary; Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1950); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Errington Mine, 1926; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford, 1947; the Water Works Project in Chelmsford; Fire Protection; Chelmsford Pumping Station; Chelmsford Fish & Game Protective Association; Azilda; Morgan; Larchwood; Scenery from Sudbury to Murray Mine Shaft; Chelmsford Women's Institute History & Minutes, 1949 - 1950; Papers presented at the Chelmsford Women's Institute Monthly Meetings (including Pasteurizing and How it Was Discovered by Mrs. Niemi, October 5, 1949, Newfoundland by Mrs. A. DeFinney November 2, 1949, Food and Nutrition by Mrs. D. Trottier, January 11, 1950, and Resolutions by Mrs. Kallio, February 9, 1950); the Hon. Welland S. Gemmell, Sudbury M.P.P. and Provincial Mines Minister, J. Leo Gauthier, Member of Parliament, 'Give & Get Praise at Chelmsford Meeting' (Gemmell was congratulated for his recent appointment as Mines Minister) ; City of Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce Booklet presented in the House of Commons Draws Tribute (Gauthier grateful the Trans-Canada Highway will go through Sudbury for tourist funds as well as a defense measure for the country); Post Office Explained (new post office at Verner, Sudbury Star now to be delivered in Chelmsford by truck service instead of bus service and trains); the Bank of Nova Scotia in Chelmsford (opened June 1950); and Rene Delorme, 13, of Azilda who won a $400 scholarship and a $25 cash reward through the provincial French competition in Ottawa for literature, spelling, speech and reading. The majority of the histories are accompanied by photographs and newspaper clippings. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute. Eleven copies of photographs of various priests and church scenes (all of these copies of photographs are also located inside the other scrapbook complete with captions) and eight newspaper clippings are tucked into the back of the scrapbook.

Results 1 to 10 of 11