- ON00120 016-2-1-9
One annotated photograph of Oskaria Koivula.
105 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
One annotated photograph of Oskaria Koivula.
Part of Denis Landry
One photograph of (clockwise from top left) the C.P.R. Section house, Antonin Landry's house, Louis Paquette's garage, Stekalasa house, Lavallee Store and apartments, Rich & Florence Soini's house, Armand Henri's store, restaurant, and apartments, and Swedland Street.
Part of Querney Family
One photocopy of a fax, dated December 4, 1991, to Wendy Watson of MCTV from Alan Querney of Muirheads. Attached to the fax are photocopies of a newspaper clipping ("Scottish Sailor opened store 100 years ago" by Harold Carmichael, The Sudbury Star, October 30, 1991) and two photocopies of sections in books regarding the history of Muirheads ("Muirhead Stationers Inc." in The Sudbury Region by Richard P. Baine, 1969, p. 147; and "The first 75 years : a headline history of Sudbury, Canada" by Charles Dorian, 1958, p26-27).
Part of Chelmsford Women's Institute
Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir 'forward;' a table of contents; the Origin of Chelmsford; Description of Route from Sudbury to Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; Missionary & Parish Priests (1883 - 1956); The St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Chelmsford (1891 - 1950); The Eucharistic Congress on August 31, 1947; Other Churches in the Community; The Presbytery - Rectory (1897 - 1950); St. Joseph's Cemetery; Municipality of Chelmsford, which includes a list of the Mayors from 1901 - 1950; Parish Hall, 1935; the Hull Bridge, 1919; the Teachers Federation Group; the Grotto of Chelmsford Convent, 1942; Church Organizations: League of the Sacred Heart; the Ladies of Sainte Anne and the Children of Mary; Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1950); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Errington Mine, 1926; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford, 1947; the Water Works Project in Chelmsford; Fire Protection; Chelmsford Pumping Station; Chelmsford Fish & Game Protective Association; Azilda; Morgan; Larchwood; Scenery from Sudbury to Murray Mine Shaft; Chelmsford Women's Institute History & Minutes, 1949 - 1950; Papers presented at the Chelmsford Women's Institute Monthly Meetings (including Pasteurizing and How it Was Discovered by Mrs. Niemi, October 5, 1949, Newfoundland by Mrs. A. DeFinney November 2, 1949, Food and Nutrition by Mrs. D. Trottier, January 11, 1950, and Resolutions by Mrs. Kallio, February 9, 1950); the Hon. Welland S. Gemmell, Sudbury M.P.P. and Provincial Mines Minister, J. Leo Gauthier, Member of Parliament, 'Give & Get Praise at Chelmsford Meeting' (Gemmell was congratulated for his recent appointment as Mines Minister) ; City of Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce Booklet presented in the House of Commons Draws Tribute (Gauthier grateful the Trans-Canada Highway will go through Sudbury for tourist funds as well as a defense measure for the country); Post Office Explained (new post office at Verner, Sudbury Star now to be delivered in Chelmsford by truck service instead of bus service and trains); the Bank of Nova Scotia in Chelmsford (opened June 1950); and Rene Delorme, 13, of Azilda who won a $400 scholarship and a $25 cash reward through the provincial French competition in Ottawa for literature, spelling, speech and reading. The majority of the histories are accompanied by photographs and newspaper clippings. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute. Eleven copies of photographs of various priests and church scenes (all of these copies of photographs are also located inside the other scrapbook complete with captions) and eight newspaper clippings are tucked into the back of the scrapbook.
Part of Chelmsford Women's Institute
Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Origin of Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; St. Joseph's Church (1891 - 1950); Other Churches in the Chelmsford Community; The Presbytery & Cannon (the cannon originally protected the Church of St. Eustache in Quebec during the Papineau War and was located in the 1950's on the lawn in front of the presbytery on the corner of Main and Errington); The Presbytery(1897-1950, new rectory completed 1907) ; St. Joseph's Cemetery; The Municipality of Chelmsford (est 1890 and in 1901 separated from Balfour to become incorporated as a town. The first mayor of the Town of Chelmsford was Raphael Grouix. On January 25, 1915, council passed a motion that all future council meeting minutes be written in French. This section also includes a list of Mayors in Chelmsford from 1901 - 1956); The Chelmsford Parish Hall; The Teachers Federation Group; Hull Bridge; the Grotto of the Convent; The League of the Sacred Heart (est 1957); the Ladies of Sainte Anne (est 1906); the Children of Mary (est 1906); the Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1958); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Chelmsford Missionary Priests and Resident Priests (1883 - 1950); Errington Mine; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from the Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford (est November 1947); the Water Works Project in Chelmsford (est 1948); Fire Protection (Fire Brigade est 1949); The Chelmsford Fish and Game Protective Association (est spring of 1949); Azilda (originally named Rayside by CPR but changed by Joseph Belanger to Azilda after his wife); Morgan (bought by American lumbermen George Morgan and James Craig on September 16, 1885); and Larchwood. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute along with a photograph of the members of the Chelmsford Women's Institute at their Fall Tea and Fashion Show on October 13, 1956. Tucked against the back cover of the scrapbook is a picture of Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir along with various newspaper clippings including the obituary of George Cvitkovich (ca.1907-1978), husband of Rose Cvitkovich, Convener of Historical Research for the Chelmsford Women's Institute, who compiled the scrapbooks.
Item is a scrapbook, created by the Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District, to document their history from its inception on January 30, 1949 to their 25th anniversary in 1974. This scrapbook contains newspaper clippings regarding the formation of the Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District, an invitation to the inaugural meeting along with two programs for the Soroptimist International Association Eastern Canada Region of the American Federation of Soroptimist Clubs Installation of Officers and Charter Dinner at Sudbury, Ontario, the Soroptimist Pledge, and a Soroptimist International Association pamphlet. One of the first large events held by the club was a fashion show in March 1949 and seven newspaper clippings about this activity are included. Congratulatory greeting cards and telegrams (2 Canadian Pacific Telegraphs telegrams and 1 Canadian National Telegraphs telegram) sent by Soroptimist Clubs from across Canada and the United States of America on the inception of the Sudbury Nickel District chapter are interspersed with a Canadian Pacific Telegraphs telegram and holiday greeting cards from numerous club chapters along with newspaper clippings on the one year anniversary of the Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District. One card, from the Soroptimists Club of Montana, has an arrowhead taped to the card. Other newspaper clippings include another fashion show held in October 1951; regional meetings, the Soroptimists 19th Conference held in Timmins, Ontario in May of 1951; another fashion show in November 1953; a fishing expedition; a number of activities for senior citizens in the area, including a picnic, a Christmas party for the Perpetual Youth Club and afternoon teas, and books on First Nations history and culture being donated to the Sudbury Public Library. The Soroptimist Club of Sudbury presents 1952 Winners of "Singing Stars of Tomorrow" program, a 1951-52 typed one page President's Message, and an invitation to Miss A. Walker from the Mayor and Council of the City of Sudbury for a Civic Reception in honour of Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent on Sunday January 20, 1952 at 8:00 p.m. are also included. In addition is a 1967 Christmas card and two cards congratulating the Soroptimist's of Sudbury Nickel District on their 25th Anniversary. A program for the 25th Anniversary celebration held at Cassio's Motor Hotel on June 8, 1974, as well as eleven colour photographs and a number of newspaper clippings, also mark this event. Finally, a number of typed and handwritten notes are included in a folder in the back of the scrapbook explaining why the invitee could not make the 25th Anniversary celebrations. Notes are from: Joe Fabbro, Sudbury Mayor; L. Grace Wellwood, Past President, Soroptimist Federation of the Americas and Past International Officer; Soroptimist International of Cornwall, Ontario; Soroptimists of Port Hope, Ontario; Soroptimist Club of Barrie, Ontario, and K. Elliot, member, Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District.
This scrapbook documents various activities of the Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury District from 1968 to their 25th anniversary in 1974. Included are photographs and newspaper clippings from the Soroptimist Scholarship Award Dinner on November 3rd, 1969 at which Edith McLennan, President of the Soroptimist Club of the Sudbury Nickel District, awarded four young student nurses their scholarships. Award recipients present in the photographs are: Margaret Houle, Louise Picard and Mary Hagan, all winners of the Edna L. Moore Scholarships, and Bonita Groulx, winner of the Soroptimist Award. The scrapbook also contains newspaper clippings covering other Soroptimist Club activities and general happenings in the community, including the presentation of a citizenship award to Christine Kleber, a high school student from Lively, Ontario, based on an essay she wrote explaining her commitment to her role in the community; the donation of books to the Sudbury Public Library about First Nations history in Canada, which was part of a larger project undertaken by the Eastern Canadian region of the Soroptimists to promote knowledge of First Nations culture, and a Christmas dinner held by the Soroptimist Club for 100 members of the Soutar Senior Citizens Club. The scrapbook also contains an honourary membership certificate presented to the 'Sudbury Club' by the Eastern Canada Region of the Soroptimists Federation of the Americas Inc. for increasing active members by 20% between March 31, 1969 and March 31, 1970, as well as three pages from the May-June 1971 issue of 'The American Soroptimist,' which includes a photograph of Christine Maria Kleber, as well as other young men and women from across North America who received a 1971 Youth Citizenship Award. Three greeting cards from the Soroptimist Clubs of Thunder Bay, Oshawa and District and Verdun LaSalle congratulating the Sudbury Nickel District chapter on their 25th Anniversary, as well as a handwritten note on the occasion from Nora Jean Quigley, have also been placed inside the scrapbook. Two identical brochures from the Soroptimist International Association promoting their clubs are also included.
Part of Querney Family
One memo dated May 18, 1972 and sent by W.C. Muirhead [Bill Muirhead] concerning the sale of Muirhead Stations Limited to Alan Querney. This memo, while not addressed, was most likely sent to the employees of Muirhead Stations Limited at the time of purchase.