Mostrando 22 resultados

Archival description
Chelmsford Women's Institute
Opciones avanzadas de búsqueda
Imprimir vista previa Hierarchy Ver :

10 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Chelmsford Growth and Development

Item consists of a typewritten, annotated paper, written in the format of a speech, which was most likely presented to the group at one of their monthly meetings. The paper outlines the growth and development of Chelmsford, Ontario during that time period (1950's) and focuses on such events as the laying of new roads, the creation of a new sewage system, the opening of new subdivisions, improvements to the local churches and the work being done by local groups and sports teams, such as the Lion's Club, the Women's Institute, the Girl Guides and the high school hockey team.

Tweedsmuir Village History: For Home and Country Chelmsford Women's Institute Scrapbook - 1

Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir 'forward;' a table of contents; the Origin of Chelmsford; Description of Route from Sudbury to Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; Missionary & Parish Priests (1883 - 1956); The St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Chelmsford (1891 - 1950); The Eucharistic Congress on August 31, 1947; Other Churches in the Community; The Presbytery - Rectory (1897 - 1950); St. Joseph's Cemetery; Municipality of Chelmsford, which includes a list of the Mayors from 1901 - 1950; Parish Hall, 1935; the Hull Bridge, 1919; the Teachers Federation Group; the Grotto of Chelmsford Convent, 1942; Church Organizations: League of the Sacred Heart; the Ladies of Sainte Anne and the Children of Mary; Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1950); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Errington Mine, 1926; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford, 1947; the Water Works Project in Chelmsford; Fire Protection; Chelmsford Pumping Station; Chelmsford Fish & Game Protective Association; Azilda; Morgan; Larchwood; Scenery from Sudbury to Murray Mine Shaft; Chelmsford Women's Institute History & Minutes, 1949 - 1950; Papers presented at the Chelmsford Women's Institute Monthly Meetings (including Pasteurizing and How it Was Discovered by Mrs. Niemi, October 5, 1949, Newfoundland by Mrs. A. DeFinney November 2, 1949, Food and Nutrition by Mrs. D. Trottier, January 11, 1950, and Resolutions by Mrs. Kallio, February 9, 1950); the Hon. Welland S. Gemmell, Sudbury M.P.P. and Provincial Mines Minister, J. Leo Gauthier, Member of Parliament, 'Give & Get Praise at Chelmsford Meeting' (Gemmell was congratulated for his recent appointment as Mines Minister) ; City of Sudbury and District Chamber of Commerce Booklet presented in the House of Commons Draws Tribute (Gauthier grateful the Trans-Canada Highway will go through Sudbury for tourist funds as well as a defense measure for the country); Post Office Explained (new post office at Verner, Sudbury Star now to be delivered in Chelmsford by truck service instead of bus service and trains); the Bank of Nova Scotia in Chelmsford (opened June 1950); and Rene Delorme, 13, of Azilda who won a $400 scholarship and a $25 cash reward through the provincial French competition in Ottawa for literature, spelling, speech and reading. The majority of the histories are accompanied by photographs and newspaper clippings. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute. Eleven copies of photographs of various priests and church scenes (all of these copies of photographs are also located inside the other scrapbook complete with captions) and eight newspaper clippings are tucked into the back of the scrapbook.

Azilda, centre rural progressif

Item is a four page, handwritten paper regarding Azilda, Ontario. This paper includes the history of Azilda, its geography and landscape, the French-Canadian and Finnish families who made up the majority of the inhabitants and the town's agricultural economy.

Tweedsmuir Village History: For Home and Country Chelmsford Women's Institute Scrapbook - 2

Item consists of a scrapbook made by the Chelmsford Women's Institute. The scrapbook is divided up into the Origin of Chelmsford; The First Pioneers; St. Joseph's Church (1891 - 1950); Other Churches in the Chelmsford Community; The Presbytery & Cannon (the cannon originally protected the Church of St. Eustache in Quebec during the Papineau War and was located in the 1950's on the lawn in front of the presbytery on the corner of Main and Errington); The Presbytery(1897-1950, new rectory completed 1907) ; St. Joseph's Cemetery; The Municipality of Chelmsford (est 1890 and in 1901 separated from Balfour to become incorporated as a town. The first mayor of the Town of Chelmsford was Raphael Grouix. On January 25, 1915, council passed a motion that all future council meeting minutes be written in French. This section also includes a list of Mayors in Chelmsford from 1901 - 1956); The Chelmsford Parish Hall; The Teachers Federation Group; Hull Bridge; the Grotto of the Convent; The League of the Sacred Heart (est 1957); the Ladies of Sainte Anne (est 1906); the Children of Mary (est 1906); the Religious Order of the Grey Nuns of the Cross; History of St. Joseph's School (1889 - 1958); Ore Discoveries & the History of Nickel; Chelmsford Missionary Priests and Resident Priests (1883 - 1950); Errington Mine; Names of the men who enlisted in the Second World War from the Chelmsford Parish; Electricity in Chelmsford (est November 1947); the Water Works Project in Chelmsford (est 1948); Fire Protection (Fire Brigade est 1949); The Chelmsford Fish and Game Protective Association (est spring of 1949); Azilda (originally named Rayside by CPR but changed by Joseph Belanger to Azilda after his wife); Morgan (bought by American lumbermen George Morgan and James Craig on September 16, 1885); and Larchwood. The final section of the scrapbook is devoted to newspaper clippings concerning local news and events, including agricultural news, important visitors to the area and the activities of the Chelmsford Women's Institute along with a photograph of the members of the Chelmsford Women's Institute at their Fall Tea and Fashion Show on October 13, 1956. Tucked against the back cover of the scrapbook is a picture of Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir along with various newspaper clippings including the obituary of George Cvitkovich (ca.1907-1978), husband of Rose Cvitkovich, Convener of Historical Research for the Chelmsford Women's Institute, who compiled the scrapbooks.

The First Pioneers and The History of Chelmsford

Item is a six page, typewritten, annotated paper by Rose Cvitkovich on the history of Chelmsford, Ontario between 1882 and 1952. Two handwritten edits to the text can be found on page five. The paper covers the first settlers in Chelmsford, the history of the Catholic Church in that parish as well as the history of two short-lived Protestant churches and touches on prominent individuals within the community, such as Raphael Groulx, the first mayor; Elzear Belanger, the first merchant and post master; Hugh Gratton, post master; and Dr. Rodolphe Tanguay, general practitioner. Prominent women mentioned within the essay include church decorators Mrs. D. Seguin, Mrs. Raphael Groulx and Mrs. Clement Methe.

Historical Research

Item is a one page, typewritten paper by Rose Cvitkovich on the history of the telephone in Chelmsford, Ontario from the early 1900's to 1955.

Papers

Series consists of nine papers (including drafts) written by members of the Chelmsford Women's Institute and presented at their general monthly meetings.

Chelmsford Pioneers and Churches

File consists of papers regarding the first settlers and churches of Chelmsford, Ontario presented during the regular monthly meetings of the Chelmsford Women's Institute.

Resultados 11 a 20 de 22