St. John the Evangelist Catholic Youth Organization

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. John the Evangelist Catholic Youth Organization

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • C.Y.O.

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

January 1944 - June 1980

History

St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church was built in Garson, Ontario in 1913-1914. Prior to this time, mass was celebrated in Garson by a visiting priest from Ste. Anne's Parish in Sudbury with the first mass in Garson celebrated in 1906 by Reverend G.S. Lebel. In 1935 the mission of St. John's, which included the towns of Garson and Falconbridge, became a parish and Reverend John P. Coghlan was named the first Parish Priest, serving until 1964. In March of 1950 the original St. John's church succumbed to fire and another church was immediately built in its place, with the first mass being held there on December 17, 1950.

The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.), affiliated with St. John's, was established in January 1944 due to the efforts of Father A.J. Sullivan. The C.Y.O.'s first meeting had twenty people in attendance and by 1946 had grown to include approximately fifty members, who were divided into 'junior' and 'senior' groups. It was a popular unit within the church and many events and programs were held for the benefit of the members. Events included dances, debates, quiz nights, holiday parties, roller skating parties and tobogganing outings. The C.Y.O. also took great interest in athletics and took part in a bowling league and a baseball league, as well as organized hikes, skiing trips and dart tournaments for members. By April 1946 the C.Y.O. was running its own news bulletin, which was used to relay gossip, local news and events within St. John's Parish and to advertise upcoming parties and events being held by the C.Y.O. The C.Y.O. remained in existence until June 1980.

The editorial staff for the years 1946-1947 were:
Editor: Lil Scagnetti
Assistant Editor: Mike Dudowich
Typist: Diane Scagnetti [Di Scagnetti/Diane Dellelce]
Printer: Abele Crisante
Sports Editor: George Morin
Poetry Department: Marg Lachapelle
Senior Reporter: Theresa Moreau, Claire Daoust
Junior Reporter: Rose Devuono, Bea Laliberte
Deliveries: Stan Hyduk
Social Editor [April 1946]: T. Egan

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

030

Institution identifier

ON00120

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC