Women's College Hospital. Department of Surgery

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Women's College Hospital. Department of Surgery

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1915 -

History

The Department of Surgery at Women's College Hospital was established in 1915 under the leadership Dr. Minerva Reid (1915-1926), Chief of Surgery. By 1920, the department was performing approximately 500 operations per year. The Department was next headed by the following Surgeons-in-Chiefs: Dr. Edna Guest (1926-1931); Dr. Kathleen Bartley (1931-1946); Dr. Jessie Gray (1946-1964); Dr. Marjorie Davis (1965-1976); Dr. Robert D. Henderson (1976-1988); Dr. Lavina Lickley (1988-1999). In 1999, Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the Orthopedic and Arthritic Institute to form Sunnybrook & Women’s College Hospital. During this time period, Women’s College Campus continued to maintain a Chief of Surgery. On April 1, 2006, Women's College Hospital regained its independent governance and became Ontario’s first and only ambulatory care hospital. The Ambulatory Surgical Services Program at Women's College Hospital performs a variety of surgical procedures including general surgery, plastic surgery focusing on breast cancer & breast reconstruction and urological procedures under the leadership of Dr. John Semple, Chief of Surgery.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

WCH007

Institution identifier

ON00365

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC