CA ON00034 2005.4.4
Arts and Letters Club of Burlington
- 1948-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
70 cm of textual records 1 photograph album 3 scrapbooks 1 plaque
Name of creator
The Arts and Letters Club of Burlington, Ontario was formed in 1948 by a small group of dedicated women as an out-growth of the Roseland Book Club. Its purpose was to develop interest in literature and the arts, through the circulation of books, lectures on literary topics, art, music, films and drama. The early meetings were held in the Lion’s Club Hall, later in Trefoil Lodge, and then in the Burlington Central Library.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
The fonds was donated by the Arts and Letters Club of Burlington in April, 2005.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minute books, treasurers reports, membership lists, lists of speakers and programmes, listings of books circulated, scrapbooks and photographs. There is one wooden plaque, presented to “Arts & Letters Club” on the occasion of the Incorporation of the City of Burlington, January 1, 1974.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Minutes and officers’ records are organized in 3-ring binders and correspondence is arranged alphabetically in accordion file. Other material is unsorted.