Gallagher and Whatmough family fonds
- 1888-1999, predominant 1888-1974 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
9 cm of textual material 80 photographs
Name of creator
The Gallagher and Whatmough families have histories that are closely intertwined. The Gallaghers migrated to Hamilton, Upper Canada in 1836, then lived in Rochester, New York for four years before settling in East Flamborough, Upper Canada. Two Whatmough men, Charles and Isaac, came to Upper Canada in 1858 and 1863, from the area around Manchester, England. Their parents and other family members seem to have moved back and forth between the two counties, with most settling in the Toronto/Burlington/Hamilton, Ontario area. The Gallaghers appear to have been farmers, in the main, while the Whatmoughs produced a number of architects and businessmen. Howard Gallagher (1897-1987) was active in the Flamborough and Waterdown Agricultural Society, Gordon Gallagher (1900-1985) was on the town planning committee which prepared Burlington’s first Official Plan, and served as deputy reeve and reeve of Burlington. Percy Gallagher (1901-1987) was a builder and developer who registered the White Oak Manor commercial and residential development survey, Plan 1124, in 1958. Charles T. Whatmough (1837-1885) opened a hardware business on King Street East in Toronto. Arthur Edwin Whatmough (1884-1971) was an architect who designed residential buildings in Toronto in the Arts and Crafts style until the Great Depression (1931). His son, Grant Alan Whatmough (1921-1999) was a naval architect and designer of private houses throughout southern Ontario. Isaac Abraham Whatmough (1842-1911), the second in his family to emigrate, worked in Toronto and Simcoe, where he joined the Norfolk Rifles, and spent some time in Chicago during the Civil War before returning to Toronto to work in his brother Charles’ hardware store.
Name of creator
The photographs were found in the original John Gallagher farm homestead at 241 Plains Road East, Burlington, Ontario which was purchased in 1998 by John Vice and Leslie Bullock. In 1999, they donated the photographs to the Society.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Most of the textual material was donated to the Burlington Historical Society by Gordon Gallagher, Howard Gallagher, and Kathleen Whatmough. Photographs were donated by Leslie Bullock and John Vice in 1999.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials and photographs. The textual material consists of a small number of original documents such as a hand-written letter from Mrs. Jane A. Whatmough to her daughter, Annie Louise Gallagher, dated 1904, wedding invitations and funeral a programme, as well as Gallagher and Whatmough family trees compiled by Howard Gallagher (1887-1997), a Whatmough Family History compiled by Janet (Whatmough) Cureton in 1974, and a 1932 yearbook of the Ontario Agricultural College and Macdonald Institute (Guelph). Included is a typescript, "Greenwood Farm", by Grant A. Whatmough, 1976 (225 pages). There are 80 photographs. Some had labels or inscriptions, others were identified with the assistance of Grant A. Whatmough or the Gallagher and Whatmough Family Trees. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Photographs Gordon Gallagher Gallagher family Grant Al Gallagher Family trees/yearbook
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A finding aid is available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
The photographs have been placed in Mylar sleeves.