Women's College Hospital. Department of Family and Community Medicine

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Women's College Hospital. Department of Family and Community Medicine

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1956 -

History

The Department of Family and Community Medicine was established at Women’s College Hospital in 1956. The Department operates the Family Practice Health Centre, an ambulatory care unit. In 1964, Dr. Jean Davey, Chief of Medicine, introduced a family practice teaching unit within the Department of Family and Community Medicine to train family physicians. In 1956, Dr. Bette Stephenson (1956-1965) was appointed the Department's first Family-Physician-in-Chief. She was followed by Dr. Shanna Gimbert (1965-1969); Dr. Marjorie Swanson (1969-1972); Dr. Yvonne deBuda; Dr. Hollister King (1982-1992) and Dr. James Ruderman (1992- ). Today, the Department continues to operate the Family Practice Health Centre at Women's College Hospital which provides care for women and men of all age groups. It is one of the largest clinics in Ontario, providing more than 54,000 visits per year to patients.

Places

Toronto

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

WCH001

Institution identifier

ON00365

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC