Primary contact76 Grenville Street, Basement
CA M5S 1B2
Woman's Medical College was founded in 1883 by Dr. Emily Stowe. The institution sought to offer women the opportunity to practice medicine at a time when their access to the profession was limited, as medical schools in Toronto refused to admit women to the study of medicine. In 1894, Woman's Medical College amalgamated with Kingston Women's Medical College and changed its name to the Ontario Medical College for Women.
Although the women's medical school closed in 1906, when the University of Toronto began admitting women to its medical school, Woman’s Medical College continued to operate as a dispensary. Five years later, in 1911, Women’s College Hospital officially opened as Canada’s first hospital run by and for women.
Throughout its history, Women's College Hospital has maintained a focus on women's health-care needs. In 1995, Women's College Hospital was designated as a national historic site by Parks Canada, as a site of national importance in women's history. Today, Women's College Hospital is the first and only independent ambulatory care hospital in Ontario, and the only hospital in Ontario with a primary focus on women's health.
The Archive is located within Women's College Hospital.
Women's College Hospital moved into its current location at 76 Grenville Street in 1935. Construction began on a new state-of-the-art building in the summer of 2010, and the new building was completed in 2015.
The Archives documents the rich history of Women's College Hospital that began in 1883 with the founding of Woman's Medical College. The collection consists of textual records, photographs, graphic materials, architectural drawings, cartographic records, audiovisual recordings, medical equipment and instruments, textiles, artwork, and furniture.
In addition to records from Women's College Hospital, the Archives' collection also consists of archival material related to the history of women in medicine, the history of nursing, early hospitals in Canada, and the history of health care restructuring in Ontario.
ll materials housed in the Archives are non-circulating.
With the assistance of the archivist, researchers may consult archival materials in accordance to the Archives' rules and conditions of access. Materials housed in the Archives may be subject to access restrictions. Please contact the Archivist for further information.
The archives provides fee-based, in-house reprographic services. Please contact the archivist for a fee schedule.