Women's College Hospital. Department of Anaesthesia
- Corporate body
- 1914 -
The Department of Anaesthesia of Women's College Hospital was formally established in 1914 under Dr. Margaret McCallum-Johnston, a graduate of the Ontario Medical College for Women, predecessor to Women’s College Hospital. Dr. McCallum-Johnston (1914-1935) held the position of Chief of Anaesthesia until 1935 and was then followed by Dr. Hannah Reid (1926-1931) and Dr. Ellen Blatchford (1931-1956); Dr. Evelyn Bateman (1956-1972); Dr. Edith Rogoman (1972-1982); Dr. Bronwen Gates (1982-1988) and Dr. Jean Kronberg (1988- ). In 1969, the Department of Anaesthesia was officially affiliated with the University of Toronto. The Department remains one of Women's College Hospital's first and longest running medical departments.